In its beginning in the 1920s, the Church of Christ in Prattville met in member’s homes in the local community and in the original Prattville Courthouse. Although relatively few in number, the faith of these Christians resulted in the completion in 1938 of a permanent building at its present location on Main Street.
Approximately three years after completion of the original auditorium, four classrooms and a baptistery
were added. In 1962, six additional classrooms were added to the rear of the building.
In 1966, a new auditorium with a seating capacity of 250, a nursery, minister’s study, and library were
built. The original auditorium was used for classrooms. As the congregation continued to grow, the decision was made to enlarge the auditorium and to add a new foyer, nursery, entrance, and additional bathrooms. Acquisition of surrounding property and other building renovations
occurred over the years culminating with the current additional auditorium completed in August, 2004.
The original auditorium has been converted into a small, general purpose room and the large auditorium is used for classes and fellowship activities. The Church in Prattville received its
original monetary and moral support from congregations in the Montgomery area. Individuals
instrumental in the erecting of the original building were M. B. Myers, Felix Fuller, Joe B. Greer, Leonard Johnson, and Rex A. Turner, Sr.
The first minister for the new building was Theo Kirkland who remained until 1944. Other ministers who have served the Prattville church were Leonard Johnson, Clayton Adams, Charles Stidham, Beryl Bodenham, Gordon Stinson, Kelton Whaley, Thomas Weaver, Sol Morgan, E. R. Brannon, S.G. Gray, Ray Dutton, Jimmy Edwards, Jim Bowers, Raymond Elliot, Rusty Adair, and Dr. Donnie Hilliard.
The congregation is currently served by Brent Missildine as the pulpit minister and Jason Green as youth minister.
Over the past years there have been many faithful men serving as elders: Leon Jackson, Harvey Hunt, Jr., S. G. Gray, Jack Hicks, Billy Adair, Harvey Clark, Milton Pendley, Chuck Craun, Raymond Elliott, Clip Knapp, Bob Stacy, and Allen Griffies.
The congregation is currently served by five elders: David Erfman, Marvin Gentry, Reggie Brown, Dr. Jerry Cantrell, and Neal Parker.
The members of the congregation continue to work faithfully to teach God’s word to the community and throughout the world. Primary activities include support for various mission efforts both within the local area and throughout the world, a full program of Bible classes for all age groups, visitation programs, a children’s Bible program called Friendship Farm, a strong pre-school program, a food bank, various benevolent programs, visitation teams, special groups for adult fellowship and Bible studies, an active youth group, Lads to Leaders/Leaderettes, and various other ministry areas. There are many additional areas of work that are quietly carried out by the membership.
Today the congregation averages around 400 in weekly attendance. Concentrating on its strengths of faithfulness to the Lord, loving relationships within its membership, and continual outreach into the surrounding community, the congregation looks to continue its spiritual and physical growth.